The Fallacies of Bisexuality
Bisexuals face a lot of discrimination not only from heterosexuals but also from people of the LGBT community. It is essential to clear the air and make people aware that bisexuality is a legit sexual orientation and there are a lot of people that are attracted to both men and women. Also, people need to be aware of the fact that bisexuals aren’t the ones that can be used to spice up lives of heterosexuals. Here are a few myths about bisexuals:
- Myth #1: They are confused
There are a lot of things in this world that bisexuals are confused about – taxes, mathematical problems and meaning of life, to name a few. However, their sexuality is one thing they have pretty good hold on.
- Myth #2: Bisexuality is naturally transphobic
A lot of people that are a part of the bisexual community are against bisexuals as they feel it promotes gender binary. On the other hand, it seems that the word ‘bisexual’ promotes the existence of only two genders when there is a lot more than what meets the eye. Bisexuals are not discriminatory towards people outside of the gender binary.Recently, the term ‘pansexual’ was introduced for people that are attracted to all genders but ‘bisexual’ works equally well to describe these individuals.
- Myth #3: Bisexuals are more likely to cheat on their partners: Just because there is more fish in the sea, that doesn’t mean your partner is going to keep fishing. Bisexuals aren’t less faithful that people of other sexual orientations. They are normal people. As a matter of fact, sexual orientation has absolutely no affect on a person’s feelings of monogamy.
- Myth #4: Bisexuals are provocative: Being attracted to both men and women doesn’t mean they’re likely to fall in love with every person whom they see on the street. Don’t assume that your bisexual friend has a crush on you and is on the verge of asking you out. There is also a very common misconception that bisexuals love threesomes. Having more options doesn’t mean that they’re after anyone and everyone. They have their tastes and preferences too.
- Myth #5: Bisexuality is just a phase: While this might certainly be the case with people what are confused about their sexuality, people that are confident about being a bisexual are not merely going through a phase in life. They are actually attracted to both men and women, something they can do nothing about. A person doesn’t change his sexuality from bisexual to heterosexual when he is dating a straight person of a different sex.
Thanks to the inception of online dating, finding and dating a bisexual is now easier than ever. Moreover, bi and bi-curious websites have proven to be a medium of communication between people seeking bisexual partners too.